Whether you are a new cat owner (congratulations!) or already have a cat for several months, you should know the right food for your cat. Cats have a hard time digesting carbohydrates and what works for your dog, might not work for your cat. Giving your cat the right nutrients will help to avoid illness and keep your pet in good form.
Here are some tips to look for when you buy cat food the next time:
- Look for a Nutritionally Balanced Diet: Cats are carnivorous hence if the first or second ingredient is real meat or meat meals then it will likely provide essential amino and fatty acids. In addition, look for phosphorus, vitamin D, and calcium. Rice, eggs, probiotics, and cranberries are good examples of alternative foods.
- Foods to Avoid: Just like the things to look for, you should know what you have to avoid so you get the best food for your pet.
- Any Kind of artificial coloring, preservatives, and flavors. Some of them are commonly known as BHT, BHA, or ethoxyquin
- Exotic ingredients which do not have sufficient data to back up
- Shop According to Age: At different stages, cats have different dietary requirements. For example, kittens need energy-producing nutrients. Formulas made especially for kittens ensure that there is sufficient vitamin and mineral. Similarly, adult and senior cats have different requirements. You should consult your veterinarian to understand at what stage your cat is and what are its requirements.
- AAFCO Certified: Do not buy food that is not AAFCO certified. AAFCO stands for American Association of Feed Control Officials and they are responsible for labeling animal feed, including pets. They ensure the feed is adequate for the life stage recommended and preservatives aren’t too high in the food.
- Look out for Allergies: Your cat can develop allergies at any stage, hence you need to be aware of them. You must know what’s the cause before you try to solve the problem with food. You should visit your vet and get a regular check to always be on the lookout for allergies.
It’s important to remember, your cat is not like a dog. Their dietary needs are different and therefore, you need to tailor your pet’s diet accordingly. If you have any questions or hesitancy related to your cat’s diet, contact your vet and get the doubts sorted.
We recommend going to a vet who comes highly recommended and is knowledgeable. Texas Wellness Spay and Neuter Clinic is a family-operated wellness clinic and offers a full range of wellness services.