Once you’ve discovered a tick infestation on your pet or in your home, it can be pretty hard to eliminate the problem. You can protect your dog this spring from tick-borne diseases by contacting our McAllen tx pet doctors to learn more about which ticks are in season in your area. Follow these five steps to protect your dog from dealing with this issue.
Perform Daily Check-Ups
- Check your pup’s coat at least once a day for ticks.
- Different species of ticks hide in different places, like under Fido’s joints, inside the ears or near the tail.
Use Tick-Prevention Treatments
- Use a veterinarian-approved tick preventive on your dog. Medications vary depending on whether you have an indoor or outdoor dog.
- Ask our vets to conduct a tick screening at each check-up.
Promptly Remove Ticks
- Only use tweezers and grasp the tick close to the skin and pull gently.
- Never grab a tick with your bare hands since some tick-borne diseases can be transmitted easily through contact.
Check for Signs of Illness
It can be hard to help your poor pooch if he/she is dealing with a tick-related illness. If you notice a change in your pet’s behavior, then reach out to us immediately. Common symptoms of tick diseases include:
- Loss of activity or appetite
- Joint swelling
- Unexplained bleeding
- Muscle pain
- Nausea or vomiting
Talk to our pet doctors about getting your dog vaccinated. Ask about:
- Which types of ticks are native to the area.
- Which vaccines are available.
- Any side effects that your pet might suffer from.
Schedule Your Pet’s Check-Up Today!
Never worry about which medicine to use for your furry best friend. Contact us today to learn more about our pet products and services.